
Yesterday I saw FB posts from various firefighter friends in NC that the Asheville Fire Department lost one of their own in a terrible fire. As soon as I read this a swarm of emotion came over me. It has been almost exactly 1 year since John wore a uniform and got up to go to a "job" that could put him in harms way. As my due date approaches and we prepare for "coming home" with the baby etc. I've been reminded how different our life is now with John being out of the fire service. That was one advantage of him working a 24 hr shift... he got a lot of time off! It was so nice to have him home for nearly 2 weeks after Truman was born. As we look ahead in the weeks to come we are a little stressed out because of ALL that is going on with his work schedule. As President of a company in an oil service profession, time off is not exactly a "perk"! While he loves his job it has certainly been an adjustment for me. But as I sat and listened to the news and read the reports yesterday I was thankful. I am so incredibly thankful for those who risk their lives every day to protect us. Not only firefighters, but police officers, and of course anyone in our military. I remember what it is like to listen to the scanner and pray that nothing happens when they're called to a structure fire or even a traffic accident. I remember the anxiety I felt when they had to do training on the days when the heat index was 115! I remember the days that followed when we said goodbye to a fellow firefighter and how much it brought us all back to reality that we are not guaranteed tomorrow. While I am so proud of those who serve in whatever capacity they do, I am so thankful I no longer live with that anxiety. Yes, there are still a lot of risks and I still have anxiety when my husband leaves the door but I know that the risks are a little different this time. As we remember the life of Asheville Fire Dept. Captain Jeff Bowen, I will also be sending a prayer of gratitude for the opportunities we have received that gave John a chance to change his career. And thank you to all of you that do risk your lives every day!
No comments:
Post a Comment