Friday, January 21, 2011

Remembering Nana...



As most of you know, I was on a trip to Las Vegas with a good friend of mine last weekend. I got a call from John Sunday morning letting me know that my Nana had passed away. As I stood in the line at Starbucks I was in complete shock. She had not been sick or anything, but she passed peacefully in her sleep on Sunday. Having watched both my Grandfather and John's MawMaw die slowly of terminal illnesses, this news hit me hard. I didn't get to say goodbye and the news came with no warning whatsoever. Again, I was reminded of just how precious life is. Of course I was sad for our loss, but I was also so sad for my Dad and my Aunt Jenni and Aunt Jodi. She had wonderful children who talked to her every single day, several times a day. I knew it would be so hard for them. We made the decision that I would go with Debbie, Crystal and Ben to WV to be with Dad and our family and say goodbye. John stayed home with Truman for another several days. He tried to juggle keeping the business going and caring for our little guy. He is always my rock in these situations. I missed having both my boys with me, but it was also good to know that he was here for all of us with what needed to be taken care of in Midland. We had quite the journey getting there, driving and flying all hours of the night/morning for the last few days. However, despite the circumstances, we had a great time... laughing, crying and yes, even singing together as we went to say our goodbyes to our Nana. As we have all tried to wrap our minds around the fact that she's not here with us anymore, we are all thankful that she died so peacefully. She left on her own terms... and that doesn't surprise any of us one bit! Like I said at her service, we are truly blessed to have had only great memories with her right up to the end.

No comments: