Sunday, March 15, 2009

The circle of life


This week has been one of my most challenging and bittersweet weeks. On Wednesday morning my Grandpa, Ben Lewis, passed away. As many of you know, he has been ill for some time now. Last July we found out that the cancer had spread to his bones and he was diagnosed as terminal. At the time, I was weeks away from delivering Truman and I remember being so incredibly sad that he may not make it to meet him. And, he not only got to meet Truman, he got to know him for the last 6 months! I am so blessed to have had my grandpa in my life, and my son's. Though it was just a short time, he made a huge impact on Truman. I have photos of the two of them holding hands, which became a nightly ritual. I cherish those and I will show them to him and tell him the stories of how much his great Grandpa loved him. The connection they had was profound. We all watched in amazement as they connected through an unspoken language. According to Grandpa, Truman is a "bright light". I agree. Grandpa was also a bright light and I know that his light will continue to shine on, especially through my son and his other great grandchildren, grandchildren, and children. Truman and all of us now have another guardian angel looking over us. We are all so blessed to have had him in our lives. He will be forever missed.

No comments: